September 23, 2017
Lighthouse Point Fest pictures from SILIVE.com
August 5, 2017, 3 p.m.
As part of our 7th Annual Lighthouse & Lightship Recognition Weekend, Wayne Wheeler, President of the United States Lighthouse Society will give us his unique prospective on lightships.
Sunday, July 23, 2017, 3 p.m.
The Introduction of the Fresnel Lens into the USLHE
In 1821, after several years of studying the properties of light in his spare time, Augustin Fresnel, a French civil engineer working for the state’s department of bridges and roads, developed a lighthouse lens that now bears his name. The Fresnel lens concentrates light into a brighter beam by capturing more than 80% of the escaping light through the precise arrangement of the glass discs and prisms that make up the larger lens. This concentration into a brighter beam of light allowed the light to be projected further out to sea for the aid of commerce and navigation.
James Risk will discuss the introduction of different kinds of lens technology in the United States and its introduction to other parts of the world.
June 25, 2017 – America’s Cup Race Live Feed, BBQ and Lecture
Join us for an event to celebrate the America’s Cup Race from Bermuda. We will have a live feed of the event along with a BBQ and lecture by Andrew Wilson, historian, sailor, and librarian at the New York Public Library. Mr. Wilson will speak on the history of the race and it’s connection to Staten Island. Here is a sample:
The Island’s shipyards provided maintenance and last minute modifications to the competitors going back at least to the British challenger Countess of Dufferin in 1876 and continuing on until 1920 when the last races were held in New York Harbor.
Daily Advance headline July 22, 1920 announcing the arrival of both Resolute and Shamrock IV at the Staten Island Shipyard Co. docks in Port Richmond.
1920’s defender and challenger in the dry docks at Port Richmond. Port of New York Annual. Port Richmond had been a work site for America’s Cup boats dating back to 1876 when the British challenger Countess of Dufferin had her hull modified and painted there. Shamrock II is known to have had her sails fitted out at Tompkinsville and likely had hull work done at Port Richmond in 1901.