Museum Educator – Part Time
Description: The National Lighthouse Museum seeks an educator to conduct school group programs and tours for all students (1st grade through college) at all ability levels. He/she will develop and teach STEAM-based curricula to students. Responsible for the set-up and clean-up of materials. Solicit teacher/ student feedback and evaluations. Outreach and cultivate relationships with New York City schools and after-school centers. This is a part-time position/ Must be COVID vaccinated to work at Museum in in the NYC School system.
• Undergraduate degree (M.A. preferred) with a background in education, museum education or history
• Teaching experience a must (1-2 years)
• Considerable knowledge of current literature, trends, and developments in the field
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a friendly and outgoing personality
• Ability to develop effective curricula and evaluate the effectiveness of such programs, making recommendations as needed
• Understanding of lighthouses and maritime history a plus
• Ability to assist in grant writing and implementation of grant – based programs, including budgets and reports as needed
• Proof of vaccination status required
Deadline: Saturday, March 5, 2022
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Linda Dianto, Executive Director to email@example.com. Please indicate job title in subject line. No phone calls please.
About: Located on the site of the United States Lighthouse Service (USLHS) General Depot in St. George, Staten Island, the National Lighthouse Museum educates visitors about the history and technology of the nation’s lighthouses and lightships. The General Depot was the national headquarters, testing ground, and distribution center for all materials and equipment used by light keepers and USLHS personnel from 1864 to 1939.
National Lighthouse Museum
200 Promenade at Lighthouse Point
Staten Island, NY 10301