MUSEUM CURATOR (part-time)
The National Lighthouse Museum seeks to hire a part-time Curator. The Curator will be responsible for overseeing work related to the Museum’s collections, exhibitions, and education.
About the National Lighthouse Museum: Located on the site of the United States Lighthouse Service (USLHS) General Depot in St. George, Staten Island, the National Lighthouse Museum educates visitors about the history and technology of the nation’s lighthouses and lightships. The General Depot was the national headquarters, testing ground, and distribution center for all materials and equipment used by light keepers and USLHS personnel from 1864 to 1939.
Collections and Exhibition Responsibilities:
- Cultivate donors for artifacts and archival material.
- Manage and develop a small but growing collection of artifacts, archives, and library materials.
- Maintain proper museum collections documentation and legal paperwork.
- Establish professional museum standards, policies, and procedures related to curatorial work.
- Research, develop, and install exhibits.
- Collaborate closely with and serve on the Museum’s collections committee.
- Plan, coordinate, implement, and evaluate all in-house and outreach programs.
- Provide guidance in the development and design of education activities to ensure effectiveness for students and teachers.
- Create and develop interpretive plans for exhibits.
- Work to ensure the best visitor experience, producing diverse strategies to meet the diversity of needs.
- Analyze the impact and success of interpretive strategies and apply learning to new and existing strategies.
- Master’s degree in History, Museum Studies, or related field preferred.
- Prior experience as museum curator, collections manager, exhibit developer, or educator
- Museum management experience is desirable.
- Knowledge of and experience with industry standards and best practices.
- Excellent research, writing and organizational skills.
- Familiarity and experience with museum databases (PastPerfect a plus), computers, and Microsoft Office suite.
- Maritime history experience a plus
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Ldianto@lighthousemuseum.org. No phone calls, please.
National Lighthouse Museum
200 Promenade at Lighthouse Point
Staten Island, NY 10301
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $20.00 – $35.00 per hour
All staff are required to provide proof of current vaccination status. Additional requirements may include and are not limited to mask wearing when in contact with public, and complying with NYC DOE building entry regulations.