The purposes of this museum shall be:
- To establish and maintain a history museum open to the public relating to lighthouses and located on Staten Island, County of Richmond, New York.
- To collect, preserve, and interpret objects related to the history and technology of lighthouses located, in the past or present, at sites throughout the United States.
- To research, document and disseminate information on the history and technology of American lighthouses.
- To create and maintain an archive of artifacts and materials related to American lighthouses.
- To foster research of American lighthouse history.
- To serve as a contact point for public inquiry and assistance with respect to American lighthouse history, research, education, collections and programs
- To celebrate American lighthouse heritage through education programs, publications, films, festivals, living history, lighthouse trails, conferences, and other such offerings.
- To support other existing and future lighthouse museums, organizations and sites.
- To establish partnerships with other organizations to attain the above goals.